You get a headache, feel sick, dizzy, breathless and before you know it you collapse and lose consciousness.

If you have been drinking then you might think it’s a case of a bad hangover but it could potentially be far more life threatening. The symptoms for drinking too much alcohol and carbon monoxide poisoning are the same. If you have a faulty gas appliance then the chances of this happening are very high. Here is what you need to know and do to make sure you don’t suffer.

  • Before moving in ask your landlord to give you a copy of the latest Gas Safety Record
  • If you are already living in rented accommodation and your landlord has not provided you with a current copy then ask them for it. If they fail to do so you can report them to the Health and Safety Executive. It is a criminal offence and your landlord can be cautioned or prosecuted.
  • You should always make sure that you make yourself available to let a Gas Safe engineer in when they need to carry out an annual check
  • Invest in an audible carbon monoxide alarm. They cost about £15-20 and are available in DIY stores. They are battery operated and you can take it with you wherever you go next.

And to find out more watch illusionist, Damien O’Brien who has a few ‘tricks’ up his sleeve

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here