By now, we’re guessing you’re back in your accommodation after Christmas, you’re glad to see all your friends again and most of all, relieved to have finished all your exams, yes?
Well try not to become too laid back and easy going as unfortunately being a student in student accommodation can sometimes also make you and your mates more vulnerable to burglars…
Below are hints and tips from Humberside Police on how to keep your property and belongings more secure. They may seem pretty simple but they are often overlooked things that students who are burgled forget to do!
- Lock your door, even if you’re just popping down the corridor or someone else is in the flat.
- Don’t leave keys in locks for thieves to let themselves in.
- Don’t be complacent and leave windows open in empty rooms, even on the 1st floor as this can be used to gain entry.
- If you have a car, always keep it locked, even if you’re only leaving it for a few seconds.
- Do not let anyone into your building if you don’t know who they are.
- Make sure all your equipment is covered by insurance.
- Take the time to property mark your postcode and house number on your valuables with a UV pen and register them on immobilise.com to help police return recovered property.
- Take your expensive / sentimental belongings with you, whether it’s for a weekend trip back home or if it’s during the holidays.
Below are a few handy links you may want to look at