During the stress and worry of exam season it is always important to eat well and look after yourself to ensure you stay healthy, happy and perform to the best of your ability on the big day.
But that’s not to say you can’t treat yourself once in a while with a syrupy pat on the back. This naughty home made hot dessert is dead simple and goes a long way towards putting a smile back on your face after a hard day.
This recipe can be baked, steamed or even cooked in a microwave.
All you need is
- 100g butter
- 100g sugar
- 100g self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- ‘Good glug’ of golden syrup
- Simply cream your butter and sugar together in a bowl. You can use a mixer, a food processor or by hand (that’s all they had back in the day).
- In a separate jug mix your eggs and milk and slowly add to your creamed butter and sugar.
- Sieve in your flour and fold together.
- Put a good glug of golden syrup in a glass bowl (you can use honey or jam if you prefer)
- Put all of your mix on top and you’re ready to cook. (Remember this sponge will rise so don’t worry if your bowl looks empty before cooking).
- To steam make sure you make an air tight lid for the top of your sponge such as tin foil and/or greaseproof paper. Place your sealed bowl in your steamer and allow to cook for around 45 minutes
- To bake in an oven simply pre heat your oven to 160 degrees and bake for 25 minutes
- To microwave simply cling film your bowl and microwave on full power for 5 minutes then remove the cling film and allow 2 minutes to rest.
And that’s all there is to it… enjoy!