It’s normal to feel homesick when you arrive at uni. You’re in a new place, with new people and that lingering smell of pot noodle is nothing compared to that of your family Sunday roast.
If you’re missing home, give some of the following a try…
- Get out of your room – shutting yourself away isn’t going to help. Get to know your housemates and explore your surroundings.
- Healthy Living – a healthy lifestyle will make you feel fresh, energised and create a positive mindset. Try joining the gym or Campus Sport have loads of free, fun and social activities such as dodgeball and football zorbing.
- Try something new – the uni has loads of clubs and societies so get involved! They’re a great way to meet people and you can learn a new skill in the process.
- Make your new home, a home – whether it’s a favourite fluffy pillow, a toy mascot or pictures of your friends and family, these will all remind you that home is actually closer than you think.
- Keep in touch – Facebook, Instagram, Whatapp, Skype, Facetime…the tools at your fingertips for staying in touch with family and friends are practically endless so use them!
- Talk to someone – everybody is in the same boat so have a chat with your housemates about how you’re feeling. The ResLife Team are on hand to offer advice too so don’t suffer in silence!
- Stay positive – attitude is everything! We know it’s tough but try to fight off any negative feelings by staying busy and upbeat.
And remember, if you’re really struggling, you can always go home for a visit!